Joint Relief Associates of New York proudly offers the finest healthcare services to help alleviate and treat hip pain caused by arthritis. To learn more about how arthritis can affect the hips, here’s what you need to know:
What is Hip Arthritis?
Arthritis is a health condition characterized by inflammation and stiffness of the joints. Any joint in the body can be impacted, and though there isn’t a cure, the condition’s symptoms can be treated to reduce pain and discomfort. Arthritis is one of the most common causes of hip pain, and the five most common arthritis types that affect the hip joints include:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
Signs of Hip Arthritis
Some of the signs and symptoms of hip arthritis include:
- Pain in the hip joint and the surrounding areas such as the groin, outer thigh, or buttocks
- Pain that is worse in the morning and worsens with vigorous physical activity
- Difficulty walking or walking with a limp
- Stiffness, tightness, and limited range of motion in the hip joints
The Diagnosis of Hip Arthritis
If you struggle with any of the above symptoms and believe you may have hip arthritis, it’s important to consult your doctor to get an accurate diagnosis. Your hip arthritis evaluation will likely include:
- A discussion of your medical history
- A discussion about your symptoms and pain levels
- A physical examination, particularly to see how you move the hip joint
- Radiographs or x-rays to examine the area
- Blood tests to find antibodies that may be associated with a certain arthritis type
Hip Arthritis Treatment
There are a variety of treatment options to help manage and reduce hip arthritis symptoms.
Some nonsurgical treatment options include:
- Anti-inflammatory and pain medications
- Symptom-modifying antirheumatic drugs (SMARDs) and disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs) depending on your arthritis type and inflammation levels
- Physical therapy
- Assistant devices such as canes or walkers
Some simple lifestyle modifications such as maintaining a healthy weight, exercise with reduced impact on the hip joints, building strength, and more can also help reduce arthritis symptoms.
Some surgical treatment options include:
- Total hip replacement if the joint has been severely damaged
- Osteotomy surgery can help reposition the joint surfaces to allow the healthy part of the joint to bear the majority of the body’s weight
For expert joint health care and arthritis treatment in New York, contact our team today!
Here at Joint Relief Associates of New York, we specialize in joint pain relief for all areas of the body to help you work toward a better quality of life. We take great pride in offering the finest services geared towards alleviating joint pain and providing the best experience for our patients at every step of the recovery process.
Call our office today at 516-590-7410 or visit our website to schedule an appointment for your FREE initial consultation. We are looking forward to hearing from you!